COVID-19 & Farmers’ Markets
- FARMERS’ MARKETS NEED FEDERAL RESOURCES, PLEASE TAKE THIS SURVEY TO HELP! (Limited to CA Markets)
- The survey seeks to collect farmers’ market data points and information that helps to tell the story about the impacts of COVID-19 on farmer and farmers’ market operations, revenue, expenses, and attendance.
- Webinar Details: Practices at Market in Response to COVID-19
- COVID19 – Farmers’ Market Response and Best Practices (last update 5/1/20)
- Appendix A: Social Distancing Protocol for all Essential Businesses (Bay Area)- great resource to ensure safety at markets.
- Here is an example best practices checklist for vendors from Main Farmer’s Markets
- CDFA Guidance for Operating Certified Farmers’ Markets During COVID-19 Pandemic 4-23-2020
- CDFA Certified Farmers’ Markets Guidance During COVID-19 Pandemic 3-30-2020
- State of California Order March 19, 2020 – Lists farmers’ markets as “ESSENTIAL SERVICES”
- CDFA Webpage, listing Farmers’ Markets as “ESSENTIAL SERVICES”
- CDPH Guidance for Farmers’ Markets
- California Department of Food & Agriculture (CDFA) Guidance for Farmers’ Markets
- Farmers’ Market Coalition’s site, including resources and links
- Local Decision Maker TEMPLATE LETTER – Use this to start a letter to your local decision makers reopen your farmers’ markets. (As of 3/19/20)
- UCANR/UCB Safe Food Handling Practices During COVID-19 – Farmers/Farm Workers
- California Alliance With Family Farms (CAFF) COVID19 Response/Resources
Market Manager Professional Development
- Visit the training page to find out about upcoming webinars and training opportunities.
- Farmers’ Market Manager Training Manual – Available through Alliance for cost of postage or for purchase from ToucanEd.
- Farmers Market Rules and Policies: Content and Design Suggestions (from a Lawyer), 13 J. Food Law & Policy 181 (2017)
- What Makes Markets Successful? USDA Market Improvement Toolkit
- Bring VegU-cation to your market!
- Farmers’ Market Legal Toolkit (legal resources, best practice recommendations, and case studies)
- Food Within Reach – a technical guide to starting a farmers’ market, with a focus on the City of San Jose.
- Designing Effective, Scalable Data Collection Tools to Measure Farmers Market Impacts, Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development, 8(C), 1-17.
- California’s State Organic Program, Factsheet from CDFA.
- The California Agricultural Mediation Program offers free mediation services for any farm loan or credit issue or adverse decision from the USDA.
- Food Liability Insurance Program: Product liability insurance is essential to the financial security of farmers market vendors, yet can be hard to find and unaffordable. FLIP supports farmers market vendors by making it easy and affordable to get insurance coverage for general liability, product liability, and business personal property.
- CCOF Consumer Education Cards
- How to communicate about Romaine Lettuce, following E.Coli outbreak.
- Engage younger customers with the Farmers Market Coalition PoP Club!
Codes & Regulations
- Certified Farmers’ Market Program at CDFA
- CDFA Draft Regulations – Scroll down for Direct Marketing regulations
- 2013-14 Cross County Enforcement Pilot Project Final Report
- See the Alliance’s Farmers’ Market Promotion Campaign
- New in 2018: Social Media Videos
- 8 Steps for Social Media Success from Pacific Coast Farmers’ Market Association
- 2015 Farmers’ Market PSA.
- California Farmers’ Market Finder
Access & Equity
- CalFresh EBT technical assistance and resources for your market
- Statewide Market Match healthy food incentive program
- California WIC at Farmers’ Markets program
State and Federal Policy
Is there a resource you’d like to share? Something missing you’d like to see more of? Contact Madaly: madaly (at) ecologycenter (dot) org